Job title: Finance and Operations Assistant
Location: Washington, DC / Remote possible
Classification: Regular, full-time, non exempt
Due: Applications will be a reviewed on a rolling basis as submitted
Overview of the position:
The Campaign for the Fair Sentencing of Youth is hiring! Founded in 2009, the CFSY works to ban juvenile life without parole in the United States, and create opportunities for those directly impacted by extreme sentencing to thrive and lead. The Finance and Operations Assistant provides key support to the Finance and HR Director and the Operations team, fulfilling core responsibilities to ensure smooth and effective implementation of each department’s goals and objectives.
The Finance and Operations Assistant’s primary responsibilities include conducting operational accounting tasks and managing regular processes such as consultant payments, staff reimbursements, and timesheets. While the CFSY’s physical office is currently closed this position will work remotely, and may work remotely following the office’s reopening depending on location. The Finance and Operations Assistant reports to the Finance & HR Director, and is a member of the Operations Team.
How To Apply:
Email in a single PDF attachment a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Finance and Operations Assistant” as the subject of your email and name your PDF attachment “LAST NAME_Finance and Operations Assistant.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as submitted.
The CFSY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. People of color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and those with personal experience in the juvenile or criminal justice systems are strongly encouraged to apply.
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture:
The hourly wage for this position is $24.03 for an effective annual salary of $50,000. The CFSY offers a generous benefits package, including: four weeks of paid vacation (annually), accrued sick time; 100% employer‐paid premiums for an individual health insurance plan, life and disability insurance; an Employee Assistance Program; the option for an 8-week sabbatical after five consecutive years of employment; and a 403(b) retirement plan.
We work in deep partnership with people in prison, those who have been released, and their family and social networks. All staff at the CFSY, regardless of position, engage in this connection and are regularly proximate to those directly impacted by the work we do.
- Conduct operational accounting tasks, including collecting invoices, entering bills and receipts into QuickBooks with proper coding, making and logging deposits, managing petty cash and debit card, liaising with vendors/independent contractors, collecting W-9s;
- Manage biweekly staff reimbursement and check disbursement processes, including reviewing paperwork for accuracy;
- Manage consultant and vendor contracts and payment: proof contracts for accuracy, manage process through submission and remittance;
- Keep organized and complete filing records of contracts, receipts, deposits, and check payments;
- Manage some accounts and bills payable; income from multiple sources; pay bills;
- Work closely with the Finance & HR Director to implement and maintain systems to ensure aligned documentation and accurate reporting;
- Liaise with tax agencies and other governmental authorities;
- Ensure compliance with organizational internal and financial controls; and,
- Assist with the annual audit.
Operations & Human Resources
- Oversee timely and accurate completion and collection of timesheets and maintain accurate records of PTO;
- Support Operations & IT Manager and department leads on new staff hiring and onboarding; assist Finance & HR Director with offboarding;
- Assist Operations department as needed to ensure all new staff have the capital they need to do their job well; provide ongoing support to fulfill tech, office supply and other needs; and
- Assist Operations and IT Manager with administration and use of hardware, software, and tech systems, including staff training as needed;
- Support a variety of department-specific and organization-wide events.
Fulfill other tasks and responsibilities as needed to support a growing organization.
- Experience in office/program administration in nonprofit settings preferred (volunteer, extracurricular, and/or professional);
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask;
- Demonstrated organizational and computer literacy (Google Apps, Microsoft Oﬃce; experience with QuickBooks or bookkeeping software not required, but a plus);
- Demonstrated ability to engage and work effectively with a diverse group of partners and stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and support complex projects and tasks, with multiple stakeholders, goals, timelines and deadlines;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Values and Traits:
- Strong interest in criminal justice issues, particularly progressive reform to juvenile sentencing practices, racial discrimination in juvenile justice, and/or human rights in the United States;
- Belief that our society has failed the children impacted by life without parole and other extreme sentences and that we all have a responsibility to create avenues for their restoration and that of our entire community;
- Belief in the inherent dignity and humanity of all people regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, class, education level, zip code and more; and belief that each of us is more than the worst things we’ve done or experienced;
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative and implement own responsibilities within guidelines of department structure and workplan;
- Thrive in a fast paced environment while responsible for cross-department functions;
- Flexible and willing/able to adapt to the evolving nature of CFSY’s work;
- Constructive and optimistic; confronts problems with the expectation that a solution exists;
- Prioritizes self-care.
Location and Travel
The CFSY’s headquarters are in Washington, DC, with many staff working remotely throughout the country. The Finance & Operations Assistant can work remotely or from the CFSY office in Washington when it reopens. In accordance with CFSY internal policies, all required home-office technology, equipment and supplies, and all business related travel will be paid for by the CFSY.
Physical Environment and Equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work will ultimately be (post Covid) performed primarily in an office setting or home office, depending on location, with moderate background noise and requiring the ability to sit and/or stand at a workstation for extended periods of time;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone;
- Specific vision abilities include close vision requirements due to computer work;
- Light to moderate lifting (no more than 25 pounds);
- Ability to travel occasionally, including in a plane, car and occasionally public transportation;
- Ability to effectively use a telephone, including mobile phone; computer (with Microsoft and Google applications); keyboard; and video conferencing.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com